Best album of 2020.

Klô has been my favorite French speaking (and singing) artist for quite awhile now. Her particular brand of quirky but accessible art pop up to her 2016 album "L'étoile thoracique" has been like comfort food for my soul; her voice is lovely, production choices and backing instrumentation beautiful...one of my favorite artists, period, in fact.

"Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs" is better than anything Pelgag has done up to this point. The release was delayed for months, but the wait was worth it. For sure.

This album feels like a grand statement, a towering monolith of swooping, swirling instrumentation complimenting a more stately and measured, yet still emotive vocal performance. I don't speak French, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of this album.

"Rémora" is stunning. The pace is set immediately with plucked electric guitar, but soon evolve into a giant of a song, with a chorus of Klôs in the background and the instrumentation becoming massive, surreal...it's my favorite musical moment of 2020 so far.

"Umami" is much more in line with Klôs previous work, with a quirky, plucky feel to it reminiscent of "Les ferrofluides-fleurs". It's a very enjoyable listen, and while it doesn't do too much to distance itself from the previous album, it's completely forgiven for how enjoyable it is.

"Soleil" starts with a horn section, which continues with Pelgag's voice, delicate and measured. This song is a highlight for me. It's very pretty vocally and the instrumentation reminds me of some of Sufjan Stevens' work on the album "Illinois", one of my all-time favorites.

"Mélamine" is perhaps my second favorite track. It's a quicker paced and more surreal piece than any previous. The electronic manipulation and backing vocals (also Klô) make it a stunner. The synths add a punchiness to the track as well.

This album probably won't be dethroned this year, for me. Truly excellent stuff.

95/100
WittyMiki
homogenic
Kanye West - Wash Us in the Blood
Wash Us in the Blood
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?
Jessie Ware