Kings of Leon - When You See Yourself
Mar 25, 2021
Well, this is better than I thought it’d be, granted I thought this would be dreadful, so I’ll absolutely take this jovial pile of midness. In fact, it’s so unbelievably mid that I can’t remember a single note just 2 minutes after hearing the damn thing, but I also don’t remember being overwhelmingly bored. The guitars drive some uplifting melodies that the percussion and other instrumentation to create mixes that often feel full, it may be unremarkable but it sounds expensive - and that’s what drives most of the quality here. This also leads to a variety of instruments in the mix, additional pianos and strings kept things feeling rich enough to not fall completely flat. Kings Of Leon have never been a band for vocals, but they were always passionate, and this passion does well enough for them here. Another surprisingly strong element of this album is the songwriting where the lyrics are often personal and well-told through more abstract viewpoints a-al folk music, but due to the instrumentals being so bland it’s very difficult for this emotion to come through and actually land. So yeah this is one of the most average albums I’ve heard all year, and despite being better than what the band could get away with putting out at this point, it’s hardly something worth caring about.
Comments