CHVRCHES - He Said She Said
Apr 30, 2021
CHVRCHES are back with another devastating and emotional synth-led pop song, well at least that’s what it’s trying to be. This is an unmitigated disaster of a track that sees CHVRCHES attempt to mesh their signature massive synth crashes with trap and it’s unbelievably unflattering. Lauren’s amateurish singing has always been an endearing part of CHVRCHES music as she always felt on the same level as you, trying to push her message out over some anthemic production. However that feeling completely disappears on this track as she’s forced to send out shrill tones to hammer any amount of texture into the weak-ass production. The vocal processing is messy in a way that wishes it could be as pertinent as a Charli XCX track, and the thin bass backing it all up reminds me of why we left dubstep-pop back in 2013. And I do think they’re trying for a calamitous hyperpop track, especially with the melodramatic lyrics that can often work well in that lane, but instead of coming off nostalgic, it comes off childish in all the least appetising ways. And that’s a shame because there are some good ideas here, the melodies are nice, the synthwork that is detached from the trap and dub sounds is juvinating, and I do get the feeling that with a bit more time it could work out to be a pretty fun track. But the whole thing is just too thin for that to happen, CHVRCHES wanted to deliver a sucker punch, they gave us a feather pillow to the head.
Comments