Poppy - Am I A Girl?
Aug 2, 2019 (updated Dec 14, 2020)
Edit: just no.

Poppy's "Am I a Girl?" transcends the limits of the bubblegum bass. In my opinion, bubblegum bass has something very violent and quite frightening. Poppy is well known for her nightmarish miniatures on YouTube, where she jokes openly about the fact that she is a manufactured product, a plastic Barbie, bubblegum that is chewing and spitting. "Am I a Girl?" is a mix of pop styles with futuristic and 80s influences. Poppy successfully transforms stupid catchy songs into interesting songs. It's a huge criticism of the society behind this bubblegum bass. The album is extremely ironic, cynical, sometimes even nihilistic. Precisely because the album is so ironic, it is very different from "OIL OF EVERY PEARL'S UN-INSIDES". SOPHIE pushes the bubblegum dance to the extreme and tries to bring it an industrial sensitivity. Poppy wonders about joy, a plastic product of consumption. Although it is not always well executed, the album is a crucial example of the potential of PC Music and Bubblegum bass.

Best tracks: "Play Destroy (feat. Grimes)", "Time Is Up (feat. Diplo)", "X", "Am I A Girl?", "Hard Feelings", "In A Minute".

Worst track: "Fashion After All"
WhatTheFunk's Tags