Lil Uzi Vert - Eternal Atake
Mar 15, 2020 (updated Mar 19, 2020)
03/06/2020, 11:40 P.M., Philadelphia.

Ladies and gentlemen, be careful! Unidentified Soundcloud Rapper Lil Uzi Vert is heading straight to Earth to impose his cosmic bars by invading your speakers and headphones. Look, this fireball coming towards us, no doubt, it's him!

Holy crap! Uzi is coming from the planet Atake with his biggest spaceship. His irritating voice rises to high pitched tones without permission to land and his flow is so out of sync, he's completely out of time and space. Uzi is jumping through the constellations like a constipated little gremlins. It's great to hear him so energetically, but here he seems to be delivering sequences of words that don't make any sense.
"BALENCI BALENCI BALENCI BALENCI / BALENCI BALENCI BALENCI."
The hype is just increasing in his spaceship, move it, it's going to explode! POOOOOOOOFFF!!!!!!!!!
Shit! Shit! Shit! The flying saucer's crashed, it's on fire! Can somebody put a medic in his cabin? Is he breathing? Uzi became radioactive after swallowing a somewhat noxious Red Bull/cocaine mixture. His fans will be disappointed, after waiting so long for his return to Earth, the alien from the Soucloud galaxy was pitifully crushed, "Eternal Atake" didn't live up to the hype...

After many delays, the Philadelphia rapper's second album, "Eternal Atake", is here, in front of us. Initially announced in July 2018, the journey since Atake has been very difficult: covers (official or not) revealed, singles (official or not) released, Uzi and Atlantic Records - especially DJ Drama and Don Cannon from Generation Now - have fought with mediatic comets and meteorites. And every curious tweet and Instagram Live session led to this "historic" moment. "Eternal Atake" was probably the most awaited album of 2020 but listening to it hurt my hip-hop, what a flat and uninteresting trap space odyssey! "Eternal Atake" shows that Lil Uzi Vert has not made any significant progress artistically or stylistically since his last album. This album just remakes "Luv Is Rage 2" with a more fun but completely useless concept. Weak brackets, not very memorable songs, the interstellar project turns out to be extremely disjointed with very bad attempts to build a coherent theme or sound.

The production is the strongest thing of the album. The beats, for the most part, are captivating and correspond to Uzi's funny aesthetics. But... WHY!?! Why redo "XO Tour Life" which is 3 years old now, "P2" is just a mediocre recreation of his best song. This album also tries to incorporate a trichotomy between the 3 artistic "personas" of Uzi created for this project. However, this theme has no clear direction and ends up being completely devoid of any substance. This creative black hole is filled with really annoying sketches trying to build on the "alien" theme, but it is horribly executed. All they add to the album is Uzi's hilarious voice and science-fiction beep sounds.

I expected a lot more from Lil Uzi Vert on this project. I know that "Eternal Atake" is not intended for intimate listening sessions, it's supposed to shatter eardrums and shred speakers at concerts and parties all over the world. But I would have liked to have seen this rapper evolve, especially after all the potential he wasted on his debut album. The singles leading up to this project such as "New Patek", "Sanguine Paradise", or even "Futsal Shuffle 2020" were so much better than most of the tracks of this album. It was a long wait for not much. The most annoying of the Soundcloud Aliens has unfortunately returned to Earth to invade our speakers and headphones...

An hour of listening that I would have gladly spent for something else.

Best tracks: "Prices", "Bust Me", "Venetia", "Homecoming".

Worst track: "P2"