Caroline Polachek - Pang
Oct 25, 2019 (updated Oct 25, 2019)
The PC Music sound in a Chamber/Art Pop album is something i'd never expected to happen and it's so fucking glorious!

Chairlift's last release was in 2016 with their third and final album entitled "Moth". Since then, the New York duo have decided to put an end to the adventure after more than a decade of good and loyal service to the Indie public. This was the perfect opportunity for the charismatic singer Caroline Polachek to finally launch her solo career with a debut album entitled "Pang", like Gruff Rhys'.

And fortunately, Caroline Polachek does not deviate from the standards that have made Chairlift so successful, quite the contrary. From the crystalline and orchestral introduction entitled "The Gate" to the perfect ending "Parachute", the New Yorker embarked on an electro-pop Odyssey with songs that took us far away, such as "New Normal" or the elegant "Hit Me Where It Hurts" co-written by Andrew Wyatt and intended for Charli XCX. "Pang" shows a wide musical palette from Caroline Polachek who amazes us with her natural as well as self-contained vocal performances. This voice remains irresistible on tracks like "I Give Up" and "Ocean of Tears" while showing self-derision on the doo-wop accents of "Caroline Shut Up" and on the take-off of "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings" while musical influences remain more diversified than ever on "Look At Me Now", "Hey Big Eyes" and "Go As A Dream".

Through these fourteen tracks, "Pang" synthesize Caroline Polachek's musical universe, which continues to grow in power. The after Chairlift designs itself perfectly for our New Yorker with this debut solo album purely electro-pop, without ever leaving her origins.

Best tracks: "Door", "So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings", "Ocean of Tears", "Hit Me Where It Hurts", "Parachute", "Pang", "Look at Me Now", "Caroline Shut Up", "Hey Big Eyes".

Worst track: "New Normal"
WhatTheFunk's Tags