Billy Woods - Terror Management
Oct 12, 2019 (updated Oct 12, 2019)
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ - Wake up! Wake up, AOTY! Don't sleep on this album !

Because, yeah, Billy Woods is definitely one of the last real emcees in the game (with Apollo Brown, Mach-Hommy, Your Old Droog and Ka obviously). I'm not one of those hip-hop heads who only likes "real hip-hop", but I must admit that it's nice to hear an interesting lyrical rapper rapping on old-school prods.

"Terror Management" is Woods' 8th album, following the excellent "Hidden Place". I can't believe my man released two of the best hip-hop albums of 2019. The record is aptly titled, opening with the lines "World gettin' warmer, we goin' the other way," signalling Woods' discontent with the state of the world in both the physical and the metaphysical.

I really think this album is extraordinary in terms of lyrics. Every verse he spits feels intentional and thoughtful. 20 years in the game and his work ethic is always that of an intelligent and meticulous rapper. This has to be one of the most well-written hip-hop albums of the year. Woods is completely devoted to his lyrical commitment.

This album has a pretty good production, but I prefer Hiding Places' one, which was more immersive. That being said, there is not much fails in that, the production is just not always memorable. Some beats are incredibly stronger than others, especially the last track and "Birdsong".

"HWAM", "Dour Candy" and "Known Unknown" are all better than that, but this sequel to "Hidden Place" is really an excellent exemple of Woods' constant consistency.

Best tracks: "Birdsong", "Western Education Is Forbidden (feat. Fielded)", "Marlow", "FNU LNU", "Stranger in the Village", "Suzerain (feat. Fielded)", "Windhoek (feat. Mach-Hommy)".

Worst track: "Great Fires"
WhatTheFunk's Tags
Oct 13, 2019
I really want to get into Woods’ music, but I really would not know where to start, any suggestions?
@Kuru Hiding Places Or History is Deslove me are good ones to start with
Oct 13, 2019
yeah, that's good picks and dont forget to check Armand Hammer's work
Oct 31, 2019
Rome // Armand Hammer is one of the best albums of the decade imo. So dark and cohesive. Billy really shines on that
Collin