AOTY 2019
Coldplay - Everyday Life
Nov 22, 2019 (updated Nov 27, 2019)
The funny thing is that there will probably be at least one Coldplay fan who will say: "yeah my favorite Coldplay song is بني آدم"

After "A Head Full of Dreams", Coldplay have opted for a very different direction. Chris Martin and his family are back with a double album that contrasts with their latest tasteless productions. Against all odds, "Everyday Life" is their darkest, saddest and least radio friendly album to date. It is as charming as it is confusing.

What the hell happened to Coldplay? The British quartet is back with "Everyday Life", a double album that is certainly not the most accessible of their discography. Chris Martin and his family therefore dared to leave the tracks on which they had been comfortably installed for about ten years (except for "Ghost Stories" released in 2014) and which made them kings of the stadiums with ultra-lucrative tours. However, it should not be forgotten that this is not the first time the band has changed course. In 2008, with "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends", Coldplay had already changed its style for the first time, abandoning its alternative rock (questionable qualifier, it's true) for an airy and much more colorful pop. All this with undeniable success as the album sold 6.6 million copies in 2008, a record for that year.

It's no secret that the concept of the double album is always a risky gamble. There are many attempts, but for how many successes like the Beatles' "White Album" or The Clash's "London Calling"? Especially since "Everyday Life" is copious in terms of number of tracks, 16, but it is relatively short: 54 minutes, no more. However, we must pay tribute to Chris Martin and his family because Coldplay puts more than a little boldness into their music. They're still putting the originality back on the trade as they did about ten years ago. On this new album, the British band offer a patchwork of sounds that travel the surface of the globe. We meet gospel ("BrokEn"), choirs ("When I Need a Friend"), a retro 50's touch with the doo-wop "Cry Cry Cry Cry", African influences, etc.

Some passages are also surprising. This is the case of this long saxophone solo on the excellent "Arabesque" and its final in distortion. Two elements that annoy many radio programmers while the rhythm of the song is very catchy and Stromae has put his voice on it. On paper, he has enough to confuse the most fanish fan. But all this does not take into account an essential element of Coldplay's recipe for success: the unstoppable sense of melody that Chris Martin displays. Because the fundamentals remain in the game. "Church", "Everyday Life", "Champion of the World" and the piano-vocal "Daddy" are there to remind us that Coldplay remains Coldplay despite everything.

A risky bet, therefore, but not lost. I think Coldplay just released their best and most versatile album since "Viva la Vida". Good energy here!
WhatTheFunk's Tags
Nov 22, 2019
great review man
Nov 23, 2019
@HoodieBraden I appreciate the compliment.
Nov 27, 2019
it is my fav. cuz it means a lot in my culture.