Baroness - Gold & Grey
Jun 13, 2019 (updated Jun 15, 2019)
Before : ... Just why that awful mix ??? Especially when 3/4 of the tracks are great ???

After : We all make choices ... that was a choice ! I do understand the primal sludge mix ... it's just not well executated, it hurts me. Because of this mix, the majority of the tracks seems to be a mess, I cannot separate the instrumentations. And some parts are atrocious with blowing every instruments they have and making noise + saturate the prod (a good example, the end of throw me an anchor). At this point, half of the audience will be lost.

But it's not the only problem ... the vocals man !!! some parts were saved to the mix, but the way he sings is so one note. He has this tendency for every albums but here it's even more obvious and leads to distract the listeners. 17 tracks is huge, you can easily lose large part of people halfway.

I see people talking about how purple was pristine but I have to disagree, it was the beginning of the oversaturated mixxing (but not unlistenable) so if you want a good introduction of Baroness yellow will be fine then blue, then purple and red.

Overall, Grey and gold has stunning composition, solid tracks and good lyrics but some choices (one note vocals, saturted mix, noisy/ quirky parts) have ruined what could have been one of the most solid album of the years.

The NPR first listen was not good, the spotify neither. The physical is the less atrocious but stills crappy so I'm surprised by the critics.
Jun 13, 2019
Are you listening to the NPR stream? The bitrate on that one is absolute garbage. The singles on Spotify sound so much better.
Jun 13, 2019
I thought my headphones were broken when listening to this. That's how bad it was
Jun 14, 2019
Yeah it is the npr, but some people said that it was a good one. I am really confused ^^"
Jun 14, 2019
Spotify is MAYBE mildly better. It's still 75% unlistenable due to the awful mix.
Jun 15, 2019
Agree ! I don't know why this choice !
Tielur