Laura Marling - Song For Our Daughter
Apr 10, 2020 (updated Apr 18, 2020)
Edit : here we go again, fantano gives 9, so the user score jump. Why don't you own a taste ? Or just ... understand the album ?

Another excellent addition in Laura Marling discography, Song of our daughter may be one of her most personal album. Constructed as an open letter about her family/child about growing up, she truly shines in the songwriting department. Very beautiful.

Sonically, this is the culmination of years of work, specially from Once I was an Eagle to Semper Femina. The construction of her songs are particulary meticulous, specially the first tracks. Around the middle,she has a more minimalist approach but also it is beautifully crafted with a strong songwriting so I don't mind it

My issue comes with the last two tracks as they are sonically redondant to the end of the affair. I think she could have been bolder regarding her ability, previous works and the lyrics in these tracks.

Overall great folk album, really impressive songwriting. Not sure if she chose the best way to close the album. Maybe one of the best album of this weak year.
Apr 19, 2020
LOL I don't pay any attention to Fantano and I still gave it a 9. who needs him. not me.
Apr 20, 2020
I know that you are a fan of the lady and singer songwriter works John :D So I expected that you'll like it. But yeah since his review, it jumps from 76 to 78. And the 76 was decreasing before him ...
Apr 20, 2020
Lovely review. And yeah, sadly he has many sheep. Regardless, let's at least ourselves be loyal to our own tastes.
Apr 24, 2020
Great review but damn, imagine yo girl writing an album for you, us, technically speaking. This and Man Alive! are my my top 2 of the year. Still haven't gotten around to relistening to Fetch the Bolt Cutters yet.
Apr 24, 2020