Poppy - I Disagree
Jan 14, 2020
My first review of the year and decade. Oh shit, here we go again.

I, like many others, discovered Poppy through her viral and quite disturbing YouTube videos. That was almost seven years ago, and like the rest of the YouTube fads, Poppy quickly faded from our collective consciousness. But when I discovered that the weird robot lady on YouTube had a flourishing artistic career, I was quite spooked. It would be like if Don't Hug Me I'm Scared were to suddenly have a very successful Broadway musical. But here we are, the year is 2020, and the new Poppy album stares me straight in the face.

Going through this album teaser-less and completely blind, I was quite shocked to see that the weird beep-boop lady had transitioned into an alternative metal artists. Oh well, as long as she pulls it off fine then I am happy.

And she does... sometimes. As someone who does in no way consider themselves an expert in the genre of alternative metal, my opinions should obviously be taken with ten pounds of salt. I will acknowledge just how creatively the songs on this album are composed. Though it may sound chaotic at times, I submerge myself in chaotic music on a daily basis, so the rapidly shifting musical styles does not bother me too much. However, I take issues with some of the artistic directions that are attempted on this album. For someone else, maybe some of the production choices on the album may elevate the album somewhat, but not particularly for me. For example, the track Anything Like Me, although quite interesting, I found quite mind-numbing and repetitive. Additionally Nothing I Need feels like an awfully awkward break to the constantly pounding down-tuned guitars that the rest of the album bombards you with. It sounds like the elevator music between the two layers of hell.

Overall, I feel that I Disagree starts off strong, but dips somewhat during the latter half of the album. Still, there are some tracks that I feel like I will carry along with me. Especially tracks such as Fill The Crown and Concrete, but for the most part I feel like this album is slightly overhyped by the top reviewers on this site.
Comments