Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV
Jan 18, 2020
Ghosts I-IV is an album that I have some close sentimental connection to. Believe it or not, Ghosts was the first Nine Inch Nails album I ever listened to, and it really was a gateway into Trent’s music. Because of that, I refuse to rate this album as low as the others. Music is art, and art is subjective. This is my subjective opinion on this album.

First of all, I feel that most people approach this album with the same expectation as the other Nine Inch Nails albums. To me, this barely feels like it. This is not The Downward Spiral and it is not trying to be. It is a loose collection of ambient works, very much akin to Aphex Twin’s eary work, except for the electronics. I’ll admit that it may be shallow and ill-conceived, but considering the reason for Trent releasing this album, which is the fact that he finally is going independent, it really is a given. Looking past all that, what are we then left with? For some, a husk of unfinished projects, to me, one of my favorite ambient albums that captures a chilling atmosphere that I can barely describe. This album gets a bad wrap in my opinion, which is a shame. It is not Trent’s best, but it should get some love, too.
Comments