BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
May 16, 2021
The Light is worth the wait

Ah Brockhampton. In all honesty I've never heard a full album from these guys and all I knew was that these guys are a pop rap group who made a lot of buzz from their saturation trilogy. Judging from reviews, I thought I was gonna like this but not love it and that was actually mostly true on first listen but holy shit on second listen, this thing went from 5 misses to 0. I think the most obvious thing that hit me is just how fucking creative this thing is. This thing is so jam fucking packed with color on the production end and the album hits your right with it on the opening track. The beat is incredibly spacey yet it fucking thumps. Kevin goes all out energy wise on his verse while Danny Brown does his thing (Danny really never falters at this point)

The album seems to be the group reflecting on the past mainly, mainly Joba, as seen on the cover. Sure this thing may be kinda all over the place lyrically (and sonically) but the album wraps it all together quite well. For an example, after the hardhitting opener, we get Chain On with JPEGMAFIA who comes through with his usually pop culture and braggadocios filled verse over this super laid back beat with just a simple electronic loop and bass. And then after that we get Count On Me with fucking Shawn Mendes for a love filled pop song. It's quite beautiful and full of charm, idk why you guys didn't like that but who knows, maybe it's some fan issue I don't know about.

Anyway, I could go into detail about every highlight, but the thing is, every song is a highlight man. Only one I wouldn't say that for is When I Ball which is good but kinda pales in comparison to everything else featured on the record. Really, everyone here bring such an unmatched amount of energy to everything, especially Joba who's literally made me cry every single time while listening to the light pt.II with his extreme detail of his thoughts on his father's suicide and how he'll move on without him. He's backed by a beautiful choir and a very melancholic guitar that proves to be a perfect send off to the record. Without a doubt, closer of the year so far. He did rap about his father on the light but idk I find that this verse just feels a lot more heart breaking while that verse feels more urgent for say, mainly due to the beat. Joba really proves to be the heart and soul of this record. While it may take away from other members' showtime, I don't really mind as Joba seems to be the most talented in the group as well as the most genuine.

However, the group also tackles a lot of other things like new love (Count on Me), Old love (I'll take you on, Old News), racial injustice (Don't Shoot Up the Party), and growing up (When I Ball). However, it's almost as if the closer is trying to say that despite all the hard times we endure, it's important to stay alive and wait for life's best moments to shine. Even then, it's not all doom and gloom as the production for the most part is actually pretty upbeat and Matt Champions "Kiss my ass and treat my balls like a mistletoe" bar is one of the most hilarious lines this year. There's so much shit like Buzzcut, Windows, and Don't Shoot Up the Party that I'd put in my regular rotation.

Just to wrap it up, this is an album with very few and mild flaws. It's an absolutely enthralling journey full of ups and downs with emotional impact and creativity throughout. As of now, it's hip hop album of year

Top 5 tracks (I'll be doing these from now on)

1. THE LIGHT, PT.II
2. WINDOWS
3. THE LIGHT
4. BUZZCUT
5. DON'T SHOOT UP THE PARTY
May 16, 2021
Superb review! I agree with you about the importance of Joba
Love this review!! :)
nice one bro
May 16, 2021
@Doublez @Cry @TomBejoy Thanks for all the love :)
May 17, 2021
no problem keep up the good work
eliiscool5