Julia Jacklin - Crushing
Feb 22, 2019
Julia Jacklin offers up to the listener an enthralling piece of music that is beautifully honest. It tackles a variety of topics and thematic contruscts with a rather large emphasis on the contrasted impulses and feelings that are associated with love and romance. It feels like Jacklin is trying to convey her opposing feelings of not only wanting to be loved, but loved in the right way, and also wanting to fulfill her own desires and cravings and not be lonely. I think she i striving to find equilibrium between these two notions and I think that this particular equilibrium is one that many of us strive to achieve. You can feel her frustration in the lyrics as well as her passion and zeal for affection.

One line that stuck out to me was when she said “i dont want to be touched all of the time” I relate to this because I can be a very clingy and affectionate person, but I can also be a very isolated and vulnerable person who runs away from affection.

I thought this piece was absolutely beautifully written and constructed. I frel like I felt everything that Julia was trying to convey. She is extremely good at expressing her emotions through song and that is something I have always really appreciated.

Though this record didnt knock my socks off, its inescapable charm is undeniable.
zachthesnack's Tags