Xiu Xiu - Girl with Basket of Fruit
Feb 8, 2019 (updated 4d ago)
Edit: watch the scores on this thing sore back above 75 after that Melon 90

Listening to Jamie Stewart essentially motorboat into the microphone on "Amargi ve Moo" is one of the most uncomfortable sonic experiences that I have ever had.

This album is insanity personified in music. It feels like the threading of reality is coming apart from within your ears. I felt like I was partially losing my sanity over the course of this record. This record is haunting and harrowing and unapolagetically brash and excessively grimy. It's exactly what I have come to expect out of Xiu Xiu but it sounded much more like Stewart was very much in control and had a gameplan this time. Everything seemed to be meaningful and thought out, not just randomly placed.

All of that being said, I did not find all parts of this record to be enjoyable, but I absolutely respect "Stewart's" artistic ambition and experimentation. There were definitely some enjoyable tracks, but also some that I found atrocious. All in all it was a "good, but not great" effort from an artist that, whether you like abstract experimentation or not, you NEED to check out.

My favorite part of the record would have to be the subtle implementation of the cow bell on "Pumpkin Attack on Mommy and Daddy" when all of the other instrumentals stop and the cowbell comes in, that really stood out to me and was a definitive artistic choice on this album.

Edit: THE FUCKING COWBELLS MAN, I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Favs: Pumpkin Attack on Mommy and Daddy

Least Fav: Amargi ve Moo
zachthesnack's Tags
meh, it's not a new thing on this site, people changing scores for fantano.