Ariana Grande - thank u, next
Jan 29, 2019 (updated Feb 8, 2019)
DISCLAIMER: GET READY FOR ANOTHER BOT INVASION GUYS (Zayn stans ain't gone have shit on Ari, once this drops)

Review: This was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I have been trashing the singles off of this thing (Especially 7 Rings) since they came out and was totally expecting this record to be significantly worse than any of Grande's previous works. The production is extremely clean and crisp, and Ariana's vocals are as strong and varied as ever.

My biggest issue on this record would wihthout a doubt be the songwriting which I found to be mundane and sappy at best. Besides the title track, the rest of the lyrics on the album just felt really uninspired and shallow. The music did not have a whole lot of substance and felt more like Ariana was flexing and flaunting, which isn't always a bad thing, but in this album's case it got tiresome. I would have personally preferred a much more minimal use of basic trap influenced instrumentals, but that really is the trend now so I can't say that I am entirely surprised that they were quite prominently featured throughout this record.

All in all this was a decent to sub par release for the pop singer and it was definitely overwhelming to how I had anticipated to be. It is actually a somewhat surprisingly admirable release considering how quickly she put this thing together (granted she does have a superteam of producers and collaborators to help her, but still). I can definitely find likable attributes on this record, but all in all it just wasn't really my cup of tea. Still much much better than I was anticipating.

Favs: break up with your girlfriend, im bored, bloodline, bad idea, imagine

Least Fav: 7 Rings (BY FAR)

Prelude: I'm honestly blown away at how fast she put together another full length record.

The singles have been extremely underwhelming by comparison

This is potentially going to be her most personal album yet following the death of Mac Miller and her split with Pete Davidson. She has had time to heal and recover and this is going to be her rising from the ashes per say.

This is going to be very, very interesting to say the least.
zachthesnack's Tags
Feb 8, 2019
I think the same way, and I know a lotta people will think the same. ‘‘It wasn’t really my cup of tea’’ This This This This
Feb 8, 2019
I kinda dig 7 rings as my guilty pleasure. but overall I agreed with you, her songwriting ability is not compelling enough to prevent it from becoming boring.
Someone made a very pervert parody of 7 Rings
@benny

How does it go?
@musicbee thank u
well im glad u enjoyed 7 rings, i cant stand it @petetheman
Feb 8, 2019
Fair review and well conveyed. Thanks for sharing!
@holowna thank u!