Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Jun 4, 2021
Michelle Zauner is one of my favorite creators in the current-day indie scene. She seems like such a genuine human being and her body of work just adds onto that feeling for me. There is a certain level of care that is woven into her music, a loving creative touch if you will. Every word out of her mouth seems to be significant in some way and not a moment is wasted. She seems to genuinely care about her art and the way that it touches and affects those around her.

Zauner also has showcased (over 3 distinct and unique releases now) an uncanny ability to incorporate catchy and infectious melodies into all of her songs. Every time one of her tracks comes on, I just melt away into them, getting lost in a sea of emotion and music. This record sees the Seoul native arguably at her most fully formed yet. With “Jubilee”, Zauner trends away from dreamier aesthetics and goes for a more chamber-pop inspired approach. There is a layer of artistic maturity with this release that did not feel as present on her past works. It seems like she knew exactly what she set out to do, and executed it brilliantly.

This has been quite a week for indie music between this and the new Wolf Alice. This year is shaping up to be quite an exciting one as we near the halfway point of this trip around the sun.

I also wanted to take a moment to point out a few coincidental similarities between this and the new Wolf Alice.

1. Both artists work with the indie-sphere

2. Both are female-led

3. This is both artist’s 3rd Studio LP

4. Both artist’s last LP was released in 2017

5. I loved both of these records!

That is all :)