MARINA - Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land
Jun 11, 2021
I feel very torn on this.

This is much much better than her last record and some of her best songs of her entire career are on display here. The central themes and motifs are consistent through you the record. There is an appropriate amount of structural variety with the songs being mostly uptempo pop tunes with a few ballads sprinkled into the mix. There is colorful electropop production all the way throughout this record and Marina, personally seems to be at an emotional high point right now.

All of these things are objectively good, and yet I still found this record not fully resonating with me. Some of the lyrics came off a tad corny to me being honest, and I don’t know, it almost felt inauthentic in a way. Maybe it’s just me though. A lot of the things she was saying throughout the record were awesome and empowering and yet none of it was sticking with me at all.

I think the high points of this record (the singles especially) are absolutely essential listening within Marina’s discography, and the rest of it I would just label as okay. There is nothing objectively bad about this record, I would just say that some of the tracks clearly struggle to keep up with the records brightest moments.
Comments