Navy Blue - Àdá Irin
Feb 22, 2020 (updated Mar 24, 2020)
NAVY BLUE EDITION: new yorks underground: part #5

Navy Blue joins Earl Sweatshirt and others to solidify his music as part of the ‘jazz-tract hip hop’ sub-movement within the ever-expanding and progressing sLUms scene. What really irks me is when people say anybody part of the underground abstract hip hop scene is instantly influenced by Earl Sweatshirt. However I can’t help to say that this record was definitely inspired by some extent by the choppy, jazzy sampling of the grim ‘Some Rap Songs’. However I say influenced, because with this record he definitely creates his own persona and his own sense of musical identity with this debut. Unlike Earl, this album isn’t as choppy and skewed with the samples. Navy Blue takes more of a blunt approach with his sample work, which is refreshing in terms of the scene he’s coming out of. That isn’t to say that there isn’t any choppy jazz samples present (2: With Sage), however they are done to an extent and decently prolonged. Continuing to compare, this project definitely has more of a contemporary hip-hop influence too, with snappy trap instrumentals on 22! and such. In conclusion, Navy Blue has cemented his style as a minimalist and blunt figure in the sLUms movement, and even though I can’t help to feel a bit underwhelmed, I truly believe Navy Blue has the potential to drop something of a higher caliber.
Comments