The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
Sep 4, 2019 (updated Dec 28, 2019)
𝑮𝒆𝒏𝒓𝒆𝒔:
Lo-fi, indie folk, psychedelia
-------------------------
𝑹𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘:
Listening to this album while just walking and enjoying the dark night, and letting the wind blow over me as I continue my journey around town will always be an experience I will come back to time and time again. This album just radiates a unique warmth that no other album can replicate. It captures the raw, natural essence of emotions going through a breakup so cleverly through the use of multiple hard-hitting metaphors and unique song topics. Tracks like 'I Want Wind to Blow' so cleverly shows the feeling of wanting a change, and wanting a fresh start, and 'Headless Horseman', and how the head symbolises a part of him him lost, but continues to cling on to it. Phil shows conveys his perception with his genius lyrics, which allows the listeners who've experienced shit like Phil to relate with him more strongly. Pop music nowadays is mostly about breakups, but they state it so bluntly, but with Phil, he wants to show his experiences, but instead of doing it so bluntly, he does it with analogies and metaphors, and it makes him stand out as one of the best lyricists in modern music, and us the listeners understand him much better. It's all so thematically genius, and anyone who has listened to this album, but hasn't read the lyrics + annotations, please do. It brings a whole new light to this album.

Thematically, this album is genius, but the music is even more magnificent. The feeling that you get from some tracks like you're going to transcend another universe, or your soul leaving your body and navigating itself through the night sky is at its absolute peak here. This album just has this universal feeling of warmth and coolness combined, but it isn't afraid to bring out extreme lo-fi noise rock at times, but even then, it still feels cohesive. This album manages to be noisy, lo-fi, and loud, but still emits tranquility, peace and content.
-------------------------