SZA - Ctrl
Jun 11, 2017
SZA, Kehlani, Tinashe, and all of these flavor-of-the-month R&B singers are the same. No substance, shallow lyrics, and hopping onto whatever wave is popular in music at the time, which in this case is the soul/hip hop fusion similar to what Bryson Tiller popularized. SZA is lucky because she is signed to TDE, which also holds some very talented artists such as two of the features on this album. So, she actually has the resources available to do some different shit which can prove to be solid. But she is lacking in originality and ambition, two essential aspects of an artist that can propel you to superstardom... just like many of her labelmates had.
Jun 11, 2017
glad to see i'm not the only one who's not feelin this album, i've been trying hard to find what it is i'm missing about it bc seems like everyone's praising it right now lmao
Jun 11, 2017
yeah it's a steaming pile of shit bro, you're not missing anything
Jun 11, 2017
I give you Kehlani. But SZA, Tinashe, Kelela are on a whole different level. Stay out of R&B you dont know what youre talking about
Jun 11, 2017
You can make a case that leviathan, behemoth, alter of plagues sound the same. You can make a case that famous dex, lil yachty and kyyng sound the same. You dont know much about R&B so youre entering this with little to no knowledge.
Jun 11, 2017
And everything would seem similar to you
Jun 11, 2017
i would never argue that the artists you mentioned are "on a whole different level" though. i know plenty about r&b as well, and even with little knowledge this shit would sound terrible.
Jun 11, 2017
whoa whoa kehlani is alright
Jun 12, 2017
Well ok. Keep your minority opinion
How? Why? Ive lost respect to your reviews bro
Jun 12, 2017
here's one last thing, and then i'm done: all of these alt r&b artists are not the same type of bad as say, Corey Feldman. you can still listen to them and not want to die. this stuff is easy to vibe to and has widespread appeal. but when i judged this album purely as a piece of music, it just sounded so bland and unoriginal that i couldn't find much special about it.
Jun 13, 2017
I can predict the race of every single person who doesn't like this album lololol music isn't white centric you can like Arcade Fire but don't bash people like SZA because they don't make music you don't understand lmfaooooo
exception is the Sean Spicer of AOTY
Jun 13, 2017
if they're all on a different level, then why do all three of them sound nearly identical? <- what kind of bullshit is that? Have you actually listened to any of SZA's EPs? Or Tinashe's mixtape? Totally different vibe, different story-telling... like are you for real? :F
Jun 13, 2017
you guys are really getting this mad over, out of everything i have rated. i could get pissed about any of your ratings and be saying the same stuff.
Jun 13, 2017
kelelas like electronic, more like fka twigs style of r&b, i think she's in a whole different category.
Jun 14, 2017
But the thing is dude that instead of saying that you didn't really enjoy this album you tried to come up with some shit excuses like "no substance", "shallow lyrics", "they all sound the same" etc which is bullshit. SZA is known for her great songwriting skills, that's why she's also writing songs for other artists. I don't have time to explain rest of this - at the end of the day, it's your opinion, even though it's pretty much wrong on every field you tried to say why this album is bad.
Jun 14, 2017
hey remember when SZA personally sent Anthony Fantano a twitter message to tell him his review of Z was wrong
Jun 15, 2017
You comparing exception's pretentious ass to TheNeedleDrop? At least TheNeedleDrop acknowledges stuff. Exception acts like his opinion is fact
Sep 23, 2017
Yeah "allegedly" she sent him a DM but SZA said she doesn't even know him. LOL.
Dec 14, 2017
"She actually has the resources available to do some different shit which can prove to be solid. But she is lacking in originality and ambition". This !
i think there's an overeaction only for "no substance, etc" instead of focusing on the idea.

Well I enjoyed some songs like Drew Barrymore or Supermodel while I don't have any interest in Love Galore not because of the songwriting but the overused R&B sounds.
Dec 26, 2017
lmao at the whole world shitting on this god awful oppinion
Jan 5, 2018
+exception I subjectively think your opinion is objectively wrong
Feb 4, 2018
Tried and tried as I might, I just could not find a way to love it. Some songs have nice lyrics but over all, I was bored. I live for R&B. She bored me. Trendy is not equal to great.
Aug 12, 2018
this review is so bad lmfao
Aug 12, 2018
the nerve of this guy to even think that he can have his own opinion here
Aug 14, 2018
Yes I still think SZA is shit
Sep 14, 2018
imagine even typing this. yikes! can't relate
Dec 13, 2018
This is why you are my favorite user on this site, you're not afraid to have your own opinion lmfao
Jan 3, 2019
Feb 9, 2019
¿perdón?
Dec 6, 2019
real Es algo estúpido creer tener capacidad de hacer buenas revisiones para golpear categorizando a un artista como la misma mierda sin un argumento inteligente que sobresalga de alguna otra persona ignorante del R&B, sobretodo como para decirle a alguien que no se pierde de nada, tal vez por sobrevalorar opiniones que realmente encuentren sustancialidad en el álbum. moment
Apr 24, 2020
This review is my favorite review on this platform because it is 100% factual. Thank you Exception. I Stan.
Apr 28, 2020
what the fuck happened here
Jul 9, 2020
Looking at this from the perspective of three years after the fact, Exception was 100% in the right here lmao. Whether you agree with his take or not is irrelevant. Aziz and others shouldn't have attacked him because he didn't like their rnb darling. And frankly, he came off as the pretentious one for trying to pull the "you only don't like this because you don't understand rnb" card.
Sep 4, 2020
I can't stop laughing at these comments. He didn't like it, say "huh, pity" and move on.
Apr 22, 2021
sheeeeeeeeeeesh
Apr 25, 2021
what a time to be alive
"all rnb girls sound the same" kinda sounds like the racism is talking. not cute!
J. Cole - The Off-Season
good 4 u
Jorja Smith - Be Right Back
Jorja Smith
Be Right Back
CZARFACE & MF DOOM - Super What?
CZARFACE & MF DOOM